Andropause, similar to menopause in females, is a condition which is characterized by reduced production of testosterone which is the primary male hormone. The word “Andropause” is currently not included in the World Health Organizations, ICD-10 and not recognized as a condition. Estimates however suggest that approximately 30% of males above the age of 50 years experience symptoms identified as a part of low testosterone levels. 5 million people in the United States and approximately one in every 10 individuals above the age of 60 years suffer from low levels of testosterone. The concept though not widely accepted in the United States is relatively more appreciated in Australia and parts of Eastern Europe. Though hormone replacement therapy is considered to be the prime solution to the problem, simple dietary tips, herbal remedies and life style modifications can help in effective management of the condition
|Age Gracefully: Manage|
Understanding Andropause: Andropause Symptoms associated with drop in Testosterone
Andropause is a condition which is characterized by reduction in the production of testosterone. Unlike menopause which is associated with complete cessation of the reproductive life of the female, Andropause doesn’t result in complete cessation of reproductive ability but is associated with bouts of impotence and lower fertility levels. Fall in the levels of testosterone are associated with the following symptoms,
- Fatigue and a sense of loss of wellbeing is the most commonly observed symptom
- Reduced potency and libido are observed in individuals with lower testosterone levels
- Depression, anger and irritability
- Hot flashes with sleep disturbances are common
- Joint pains with stiffness in the hands and feet
- Premature aging involving changes in the texture and quality of skin and hair
Andropause Treatment: Life Style Tips and Diet Recommendations
Certain life style modifications and a correct and balance diet can not only help in dealing with some of the symptoms of Andropause, but can also regularize the hormonal system and aid in increasing testosterone levels.
- Regular Exercise plays a crucial role in effective management of Andropause. Exercising for twenty minutes each day helps in management of the condition. Exercising increases the production of hormones in the body and also helps in regulating metabolism. Simple Yoga exercises can be very beneficial and they help you maintain a healthy and supple body.
- Diet plays a crucial role in regulating the production of various hormones including testosterone. Increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables. Reduce the intake of processed and refined foods. Refined foods interfere with normal metabolism and also hamper the production of hormones. Increase intake of prunes, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds etc. as they are loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids. Lean beef, chicken and eggs also play a crucial role in supplying essential proteins to the body.
- Adequate amount of sleep is crucial for management of this condition. Reduce the consumption of stimulants like alcohol, coffee and nicotine. These foods cause wakefulness and interfere with the normal hormonal cycle of the body
- Low fat milk and dairy products along with green leafy vegetables are good sources of calcium and magnesium, which are essential to prevent aging and osteoporosis.
|Ginseng is beneficial|
in enhancing Libido
Herbs to treat Andropause: Home Remedies for regulating Hormone Balance
- St John’s Wort is an essential herb which is found to be effective in the management of depression associated with Andropause
- Saffron are considered beneficial in mood regulation and management of depression
- Ginseng and Ginko biloba stimulate sex drive and also enhance libido
- Turmeric and Raw Honey is considered to be beneficial in management of joint stiffness. Turmeric is better than conventional NSAIDS and analgesics for management of pain while honey is a great source of energy.
- Ginger is considered beneficial in the management of joint pains and aches. Ginger tea or freshly crushed ginger can be used with great effectiveness.