Obesity Trends in the United States, are rising dramatically across all ages, over the last two decades. According to the Centre for Disease Control and prevention, over 12.5 million children and adolescents in the United States are obese. Low calorie diet for kids is considered very beneficial in controlling obesity and preventing a host of other complications including cardiac and circulatory problems. Here are some low calorie recipes and foods along with life style modifications that can be beneficial in controlling obesity among kids.
Early childhood obesity has been linked with increased risk of developing cardiovascular disorders, diabetes, hypertension and other morbidities as age advances. Regrettably, a rise in childhood incidence of diabetes, cardiac ailments and hypertension is also being observed. Faulty dietary practices and lack of physical activity are considered to be the prime culprits for the increasing incidence of childhood obesity. Here are some tips while preparing low calorie recipes for kids,
Low Calorie Foods for Kids: Tips to help Weight loss in Children
- Inculcating right eating habits from early childhood has become imperative. Children should be taught to avoid having heavy meals, which in turn implies an overload of fats, sugars and calories which in turn trigger a host of lifestyle disorders.
- The key to designing low calorie recipe for kids is to ensure that they are healthy whilst being yummy to taste.
- Involving the child in preparing the menu and determining what combination of foods that can be consumed is very vital. Child involvement in meal planning not only increases compliance but also makes the entire process enjoyable and less strenuous.
Low Calorie Snacks for Kids: Preventing Obesity among Children
- Fresh fruits are considered as very healthy and beneficial snacks. Fruits are not only packed with anti-oxidants but are also loaded with dietary fiber. In addition fruits contain simple sugars that are easily broken down to generate energy. Ensure that your child has an “All Fruit Breakfast”. Fruits like grapes, bananas, apples, cherries, peaches, oranges, sweet lime, etc can be included in your child’s diet
- Dried fruits are also loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids and other vital nutrients which are healthy for the heart and prevent obesity. Consume at least one serving of dried fruits comprising of prunes, apricots, almonds, resins, cashew and dates.
- Increase the intake of fresh vegetable salads as snacks. Salads can comprise of parsley, spinach, tomato, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, etc. Salads should ideally have a low fat dressing.
- Cereals including Oats, barn, rice flakes, corn flakes, wheat flakes and pastas form a great snack option for kids. Cereal bars form a great mid evening snack for children. Cereals along with yogurt smoothie are healthy and tasty. Further yogurt is loaded with probiotics which improve digestion and improve intestinal health.
|Involving kids in Diet Planning|
can improve compliance
- Portion control is vital and critical part of low calorie diet for children. Discourage children from consuming large proportions of meals. Encourage consumption of small and frequent meals. Don’t put on the Television, while eating.
- Frequent helpings comprising of fresh or dried fruit are beneficial. Limit the intake of sugary foods, ice creams, cookies and fatty foods.
- Home made muffins, cookies, breads, cakes and biscuits are always better. Home made recipes should have a lower fat usage. Add loads of dry fruits, flax seeds, etc which help increase the nutritive value. Cook home made muffins in polyunsaturated fatty acids like olive oil, sunflower oil, etc. Avoid the use of hydrogenated oils or refined oils in cooking.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as it boosts the energy levels in the morning and also promotes metabolism. Alternate ‘all fruit breakfast’ which whole wheat sandwiches and cereals.
- Cook at home, restrict going out for lunch or dinner. Also teach your children to eat healthy. Help them make the right choice by promoting healthy foods like brown rich, fresh salad over unhealthy foods like burgers, confectionary items and pizza